My sister-in-law is a ER nurse at a large metropolitan hospital in Houston, Texas, and that personal connection has helped me put healthcare professionals’ sacrifices and heroism of the last year fighting to save lives during the COVID pandemic in greater perspective.
Under extreme circumstances, medical caregivers have stoically shouldered an unimaginable burden this past year and made tremendous efforts to help deliver the best healthcare possible to their patients.
With May 9-15 being National Hospital Week, it’s a great opportunity to express our gratitude to our hospital and health system #healthheroes. It’s a double treat this week since it’s also National Nurses Week May 6-12. So, don’t forget to also reach out to those nurses you know to thank them for all they do.
Here’s a few ideas on how to show the love for medical professionals during National Hospital Week/National Nurses Week:
- Offer drawings and raffles to win prizes
- Give out personalized mugs, T-shirts, water bottles, or face masks
- Throw a BBQ
- Set up a peer recognition program
- Host team-building games, either virtual or in-person
- Extend personal and heart-felt thank you’s